Monday 21 March 2022

A Glory of beaches


 Almost every moment (when not exploring ancient Abbeys and flower filled lanes) I spent on the beautiful beaches of Devon. I have returned to my favourites and discovered new places and as always, been extremely happy. Like everyone I have my worries and my down days but time spent on an empty beach always lifts my spirits.



It is even worth the pain of getting to them. I did fall some considerable distance out of a hedge to the lane below trying to take a short cut and avoid the steepest part of the hill but that was entirely my own fault...


I love pottering gently up and down some quiet cove, looking for pebbles and playing my ‘Beach Art’ games. I have even had a couple of exhilarating extreme paddles.  The water was so very cold and misjudging waves left me breathless and totally soaked- yet I was also laughing and fizzing with the enjoyment of it all.



One evening, after a rainy day, I ended up on Bigbury beach near the famous Burgh Island. The sun was coming and going behind the clouds and the waves were sliding across the sands with hardly a ripple. Everything was lit up with the clear blue light and from the reflections in the water.



It was a magical moment and I felt so lucky to be there to see it.

 

1 comment: