Monday 21 March 2022

Very nearly Summer

When the sun shines in Newton Ferrers, it feels as if you have arrived in a different country, or at the very least a different season. Looking out over the sheltered estuary of the River Yealm, I felt as if I had arrived in a tropical paradise.



 I have stayed there before- Pippa’s parents have often been kind and counted me as one of the family, yet each time I return I am stunned by the rich colours and the tranquillity of the view across the lawn to the water below.


This has been a week of re-discovering the Devon I love so well. I have written about the lanes but I also found an ancient Clapper bridge and spent an early evening in Exmoor’s wide empty beauty, which was lit up by the late afternoon sun.




I love the freedom of following a whim. I saw the sign on my map for the ancient bridge and decided that would be the focus of a day’s exploration. I drive slowly and with enjoyment, stopping whenever I see an interesting view or village, taking walks and picnics whenever it suits me. When driving home through the moors, I came across a small stone circle, it was nothing grand yet it was hauntingly beautiful in the evening light.


On one day I had planned to visit Saltram but was diverted by the sound of Buckland Abbey and spent the day there instead. It is such a pleasure to be here so early in the year- everywhere is peaceful and there are only a few travelers rather than hordes of tourists.




It has been a gentle peaceful week, with kind weather, spring flowers and I have even survived the knee punishingly steep slopes and hills without too many swear words.                                                            It has been a pleasure staying in Newton Ferrers and waking to enjoy this beautiful view every day.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment