Thursday 17 March 2022

The best of friends

I have known Pippa since our children were tiny and we were both young mothers dealing with the joys and traumas of life and finding kinship in the way we saw the world. She is the best of friends and has been by my side during so many of the important times in my life. We have grown to know each other's characters and always feel comfortable together- we laugh and cry in equal measure. We've been on holiday, had parties and many adventures. We both share a deep love of the countryside (hers is a more active love...) and she is an amazingly talented sculptor.


I missed her dreadfully when she married and moved to Devon but her husband Andy is a brave man and he copes with my frequent visits and he too has become a friend.

There had been some changes of plan which meant I have stayed with Pip and Andy for five days. This was such a treat as we normally only manage short visits and it was so good to have a chance to spend some relaxed time together. Pip understands how I can't manage strenuous walks and that I will sometimes need to have very early nights, so I feel at home.



I had a yearning to be by the sea and we caught the sunshine on some happy pottering walks and beach wanderings. Spring has come to Devon and the glowing green of the grass and sparkling blue of the sea was beautiful. 






On my last day, Pip took me on her favourite walk along the cliff path at Bolt Head where we looked down at the beautiful beach at Starehole Bay. It has been a perfect start to my adventures.



We talked non-stop over the time we spent together and I think that we have nearly caught up...!

2 comments: