Friday 10 August 2012

Blue sky and blue water

The sun was shining, it was the holidays, so Sam and I grabbed our cameras and treated ourselves to a day-out exploring. Sam had read about Blue Pool near Warham in Dorset and I can never resist the chance of slipping down to the sea.
Blue Pool is a well known beauty spot and perhaps a little too groomed and organised for me. I found myself wanting to be a Victorian lady discovering it for the first time whilst digging up ferns for my rock garden...
The waters from the old clay pit are a bright turquoise colour. It is said that the fine particles of clay cause the water to appear blue or green, depending on the light-



Sam was determined to capture the amazing colours



When the sun came out it really glowed!

 


The heathland beside the pool  and the shoreline was full of dragonflies



even more blue than the waters




You had to be quick to catch them!
After clotted cream ice-cream we felt refreshed and ready to head down to Durdle door. I've grown to love the Dorset coast and this particlar stretch always takes my breath away.



I can never decide if I prefer it in the sunshine, or with dark, glowering clouds making it look even more dramatic-





We were lucky to have the beach nearly to ourselves and I felt completely content tramping through the pebbles, beach combing and having a chance to talk to my boy.


As the quiet one of the family, I sometimes feel Sam gets a bit swamped by the tides of Emmie and my chatter. It was good to have a day with him alone.
He is still perfecting the prints of his shots but I have a suspicion that I'm going to be rather envious of several - we are both dreadfully competitive when it comes to our beloved photography!

On the journey home I stopped by the heath and picked my annual posy of heather.
When I sniff the rich honey scent, it always takes me back to my childhood summer holidays spent in our Scottish cottage. I used to lie for hours, on my back on the mountainside, deep amidst the heather.






It was late when we got home, tired but happy, it had been a good day.






21 comments:

  1. Hello Jane:
    We fear that this rather ages us, but we do remember visiting the Blue Pool in the 1950s when it was, just that, a blue lake in a woodland setting. We have not been back since and so this post brings back many happy memories.

    The Dorset coast is lovely and, apart from the Bournemouth [which seems to hop counties all the time] Poole area which is so built up, remains largely unspoilt. Many childhood holidays were spent in Swanage in an old Coastguard cottage, but that too was a long time ago.

    Will we get to see some of Sam's pictures? We do hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jane and Lance, I do so wish I could have seen the pool with you then. Sam and I agreed that it would take a snowstorm to cover all the modern additions and return it to full Romantic status!
    Sam has promised to give me the best of his photographs, so I hope to do a follow up (with much jealous gnashing of teeth) with his favourite shots- Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, ( I do hope I am not repeating myself, I was interrupted and not certain I posted my comment.) Your photographs are amazing. How wonderful that you and your son share the love of photography. The turquoise of the water, the blue skies and the beautiful heather (my daughter's name) bouquet makes my heart happy. Through your words I can imagine a young girl laying in a field of heather reading reading her favorite book. It is a lovely vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie, your lovely message came out o.k. and in the singular! You are so right about me in the heather. When I first read 'Wuthering Heights', I completely identified with Cathy and her love of the moors.Jane xx

      Delete
  4. The shots of the Dorset coast are magnificent. They remind me of our Oregon coast. Looking forward to Sam's, as well. Encourage him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I will encourage my boy, it is such an amazing thing to learn to look and have the skill to capture- he's got a great eye already! Jane xx

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a wonderful day and how special for him to have you all to himself. I love the sounds of the English places, they sound straight out of a Miss Marple mystery. Blessings, Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane, We did have fun together and you are so right about place names- so many of them make me laugh! Jane xx

      Delete
  6. Its lovely to spend time with your children individually especially when you can share a mutual love of photography. My youngest son at 13 took some very good photo's on a recent school trip to France which has increased his interest so we now 'snap' away together. Your day sounds perfect. I have the same memory as you as my childhood summer holidays were spent on the west coast of Scotland and I spent many many hours lying in the heather with a book. Do you remember the silence and those wonderful sea coasts? Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I found your blog on The Custards comments I just need to say that your photo's are quite beautiful,I've wanted to visit Dorset and seeing your photo's is enticing me to go!Kind Regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pam, How lovely to receive your kind message. I think that taking a photograph that manages to capture a scene or event as I see it, has to be one of the best things in life! Jane xx

      Delete
  8. Hello Jane

    What a perfect day you and Sam had exploring and visiting familiar spots. The area of Dorset looks spectacular and that image of the arch and the cliff is just divine.

    Thanks for sharing and I will look forward to seeing Sam's pictures.
    Sorry I am late in visiting.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen, sorry for my late reply! I'm trying to jog Sam into action as to getting his photos in order! Jane xx

      Delete
  9. That sounds like a lovely day. Yes, it is sometimes nice to feel one has discovered a new place, probably not possible in Dorset but maybe somewhere in Scotland there would be fewer tourists (though more heather...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny, there are a few secret places even in Dorset ... but not the blue pool. I agree Scotland still has that truly wild feel to it- and better heather! Jane xx

      Delete
  10. Any date for your TV appearance yet??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing definite but we've been told it's now sometime in October...J xx

      Delete
  11. Good morning. I noticed your comment on my friend's blog (Where Beechmast Falls) and thought I would pop across. Before moving to Wales, we lived in Dorset and I remember the Blue Pool from the 1970s and the 1,000-times g.grandparents of the Dragonflies! Lovely photos and thank you for giving me a taste of my favourite county. LOVE your header by the way. From a fellow book-lover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your kind comments- I loved your blog and was so pleased to read the Edward Thomas poem there. I was very happy to get the photo for this header- there was an amazing field of poppies near Frome and unusually it also had a lovely background too. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow oh wow! That place is so magical. The water is clear and tantalizing. Its so clean that I want to go skinny dipping. lol
    salon equipment

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jane

    I just love Dorset. I've never been to the blue pool, but really enjoyed the photos - thanks for showing them.

    ReplyDelete