Friday 31 October 2014

Apple Day

Escaping to Cornwall for a happy week's respite, we were very pleased to find that our village of Pendeen was celebrating Apple Day in it's community centre. They hold a regular Farmer's market but that morning we were lucky enough to enjoy an extra treat..


These unusual varieties, some only found in Cornwall, came from the orchard of a local manor house. I love the colours and rich scents of old-fashioned apples.





The 'Apple Man' also known as Paul, had a wonderful machine which cored, peeled and sliced. We were entranced and I now have another item added to my ever-growing wants list!


Of course there was more to the market than apples and I always find a Farmers' Market is good place to shop.
I enjoyed having a taste-


We brought back some of this most delicious Cheddar for Sam-


We choose from the freshest of vegetables for our supper that evening-




and succumbed to temptation of freshly baked treats.


Aren't these hand-knitted lambs enchanting?

What a lovely way to spend a rather damp October morning!

11 comments:

  1. I was brought up in a house that had many old apple trees of unknown name. I still remember the taste and appearance of those apples but I've never found others like them. Making lambs out of wool has a certain ironic symmetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the lambs made you smile- it had occurred to me too! Jane xx

      Delete
  2. Hello Jane

    That sounds like a very pleasant escape to Cornwall. All of those apples look delicious. The artichokes look fresh and appetizing too. I agree a perfect way to spend a damp October morning.
    Have a great week

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helen, We did have such a lovely week, we were both in the right mood to enjoy every little pleasure that came out way. Jane xx

      Delete
  3. Apples from Cornwall - enchanting words. I bet they smell delicious. What a wonderful way to spend some hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane, the smell of the apples was so beautiful, I could have just stayed and sniffed for ages! Jane xx
      ps. Your comment popped up twice so I deleted the second one

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pendeen is a lovely place - we visited there a few years ago. Love those apples, you don't often see those different types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that part of Cornwall and October is a perfect time to visit, few crowds, lovely light and still some sunny days. Jane xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Jane,
    Such a lovely British day out! - Lovely fresh produce at this time of year.
    I seem to remember Stephen Fry making a TV programme about his top 100 gadgets and the apple peeler/corer thingy came out at second place. I think you should get one! ;-)) - we know you like to cook!
    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Apples have always been magical to me and I am so pleased that many of the old varieties have been saved. The pictures are wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete