Tuesday 5 November 2013

A Purely Personal Pilgrimage

God willing, on the 1st of September 2014, I shall be taking off on a journey around the British Isles.
I plan to explore the quirky, eccentric parts and people of Britain, to have a chance to appreciate its beauties and most importantly, (the theme that links my quest and pilgrimage) to seek out the last remaining second-hand and Antiquarian bookshops.



My plan is to make a base in a particular area, where I will visit friends and family but for the most part, house-sit or stay in vacant holiday homes.
Whilst there, I will support myself by giving talks, selling my books and Vintage collectibles at fairs and of course- by doing some life modelling!



It will be a rather hand-to-mouth existence but it should allow me the time to discover hidden gems of little book shops, to photograph them, interview their owners and their loyal customers and then to write about them-before they disappear.




 I plan to explore The Lake District and the North in the Autumn, Wales in the Winter, Devon and Cornwall in the Spring and as Summer comes, work my way along the South coast 







and then up the Eastern side of England and as far into Scotland as time and funds allow. As yet, I haven't included Ireland but everything remains flexible.



I don’t intend this to be an exhaustive listing of all bookshops in each area, more a gentle time of serendipitous discovery.




England still has strong communities, individualistic people and hidden beauties; I’m very excited about the chance to discover some of them and to visit places that have touched my imagination.
It is an exciting yet daunting idea. Imagine taking a year off to do exactly as I please! 
Yet I have been planning something similar for many years. As a single parent, my life has been particularly wrapped around my children's needs and their care. With Emily now at university, when Sam disappears in the summer of 2014 to stay with his father in Canada and spend a gap year exploring there, I shall have a huge gap in my life. I hate to think that worry about me would ever stop my children spreading their wings, so if I am off on my own adventures, they can fly away with ease.


My favourite picture ' Lucifer and God'

My wonderful partner David is fully supportive and understanding. As I am travelling within this country we have plans to spend many a weekend and holiday together during my time away.
I call this 'A Gap Year' to myself but in fact it will probably turn out to be a series seasonal adventures with me returning to see loved ones in between. Both my Mother and Emily already plan to join me for  little jaunts.



On a practical note, I'm hoping to have weekday lodgers within my home to help cover costs and keep the house happy. I have saved up a little money ( not very much) and if I can find free or very reasonable accommodation I should be able to survive.  Already, people have invited me to visit and those meetings will be part of the joy of this adventure.

 I will need to find places to stay where I can be alone, however, especially if I'm writing. Part of my reason for taking this time off is to allow myself the luxury to be by myself where I only have to think of my needs and wishes. A little selfish perhaps but oh, so necessary sometimes!
I would so love to spend some weeks alone in a cottage at wintertime, by a wild, wild sea...






Friends have asked me how I came up with this mad idea... I can recall two separate occasions which fixed my previously vague and happy dreams into an actual plan.
The first was one of those dazzlingly golden, breezy, sunshiny days you often get in mid September.




 I had just left David's house on Monday morning and decided to drive down to the sea at Sidmouth before returning home. As I bounced along in my little car, map on the seat beside me, and as I entered the town, bought a pasty and sat with it on the shingle looking out to sea, I realised that this was the sort of exploring I truly enjoyed. Not for me the extreme treks to far away places but the gentle exploration of my beloved country.
This idea of an English wandering gained a theme and quest last year. Whilst on a retreat in Wales I came upon a house where an inspired woman had turned her front room into a tea room and bookshop. It was such a find and I started wondering how many other tiny bookshops there were, hidden away, throughout the British Isles.


The idea seeded, it grew and grew and now (excepting any unforeseen disaster) I am giving up my local jobs next summer and plunging into the adventure of a life time. Not a very wild or exciting one some might say but perfectly suited to this eccentric English Book-lady.


 I'm excited at the thought of writing about my plans and preparations and then of the pilgrimage itself. I have yet to decide whether to create a new blog for the adventure or to keep to this one. 
I think I'll just wait and see what happens...

20 comments:

  1. What an amazing adventure you will have ... one day I would love to do something similar. I do look forward to reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- It seems a bit daunting and I still can't quite believe what I'm planning to do!

      Delete
  2. Jane, good for you! I admire you greatly for having the balls to go for it.Please let me know if you come to Ireland, I would love to meet with you. I am sure your children are very proud, (marvellous picture by the way). Good luck with your plans and your pilgrimage. With much love, Linda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Linda, reading your kind words makes me so wish I was coming to Ireland and that I could meet up with you- still you never know what may happen! Jane xx

      Delete
  3. Perfect! What a lovely idea and so idiosyncratic. I can think of at least 3 in this part of East Anglia, all individual and very special. Keep us posted and let me know when you get to this part of the country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marianne, How kind you are, I will keep you all posted and up to date with my plans when they evolve. Jane xx

      Delete
  4. You will have to include Barter Books in Alnwick on your tour of Northumberland. Amazing independent second hand bookseller.
    Best wishes for your new adventure, it sounds so exciting.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julie, Barter Books are henceforth on my list! Thanks for your best wishes, I shall need them! Jane xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds amazing! I love my journey from the South Coast up through the Cotswolds on route to my parents home, stopping off anywhere I fancy and exploring. Just me and my little car. When I reach my detsination I always get asked what time did I set off ? 7am!!!! What took me so long?
    If only they knew.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jenny, you understand completely... that joy of just following where the spirit takes you! Jane xx

      Delete
  6. Well, I am truly envious - I would love to do something like that, but don't really have the nerve. Have a wonderful time - and hoping that you will still blog en route and let us know all about your escapades and adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea. I love this country too and love nothing better than exploring its secret and beautiful places. I know lots of little bookshops in our area of Sussex which I could pass the details on to you if you'd like. I am sure you will have an amazing time and look forward to following your journey. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Karen, that would be so kind. My email address is Jane@eccentricbooklady.com. Jane xx

      Delete
    2. I'll pop them in an email to you soon. xx

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a wonderful thing to do. You're very brave. But it should be a wonderful thing to do for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Diane, I do feel nervous but it will be such an adventure and I've never really been on an adventure before! Jane xx

      Delete
  9. I am so happy to have discovered you through Terra's blog. Wow, we have so much in common and your trip will be WONDERFUL! I plan to stay tuned.

    My husband and I used to sell rare books in our little herb store in Cambria Pines by the Sea, California. We journeyed all over seeking books, but especially loved Hay on Wye. What a dream.

    I hope to not lose you in this vast and crazy land of blogging. You're just up my book lined pathway.

    All joys to you,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sharon, I so glad you found me, I have discovered your blog and as 'Anne of Green Gable's would say' you are a kindred spirit!' Jane xx

      Delete
  10. P.S I just "followed" you so that I can keep up!

    ReplyDelete