Wednesday 22 September 2021

An elegant residence





 

Life is full of happy coincidences. Not many months ago I was reading about the huge redwood - the Wellingtonia or Giant Sequoia and I longed to have the chance to travel to California and see these mighty trees. Well goodness me- who would have guessed? Mr Humphries who originally owned the house where I am staying and created the gardens, brought over a Wellingtonia from Canada to add to his collection of unusual trees and plants. It’s now over 100 foot tall and as soon as it has stopped raining, I am going to go out and hug it.


My body has been complaining about the uphill walks and so I spent a quiet first day at Pool Cottage. There are several holiday lets here but it is quiet and still has the feel of an old country house. 


The gardens are full of winding stone paths and fern lined steps. I enjoyed playing with some colourful leaves...






The next day dawned dank and dark with grey clouds and rain. I know that I can’t be in alt all the time but I felt rather ashamed of feeling so down-hearted. I missed the clear blue skies, space and clarity of my week on the hillside.

However, I gave myself a talking to and in the afternoon headed out to do some gentle exploring. I followed a quiet winding lane, with moss and grass in the middle and pootled along trying to get a feel of the countryside. I found a place to park and continued my travels down the lane on foot, enjoying the sound of robins singing and the peaceful feel of misty rain on my face. Then to my delight I saw that the hedgerows were full of blackberries. Now I had a purpose I felt much more cheerful, I gathered a large handful and also picked a little posy of late summer flowers.


Returning home to my cottage, I felt much more at home.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment