Wednesday 22 September 2021

Not forgetting books


I am a Booklady and so, despite taking a break from life, I brought a few books and have been lured into a few bookshops...

I had booked a table at the Betws-y-Coed weekly antique and collectors fair. I do believe that these fairs are the same, wherever you go. There is friendliness and a sharing of in jokes by the stall-holders; the sheer hard work of setting up and taking down your stock, and the copious mugs of tea and biscuits that make it all copable.





People trickle in and look and talk and don’t buy and my spirits get lower and lower- and then a good sale! All is well in with the world and I love everyone once more. It was a good day and I treated myself to a little vintage postcard and a beautiful old-fashioned shopping basket.



The town of Machynthleth has a pleasing, slightly alternative atmosphere and several good bookshops. I immediately felt at home at the Dyfi Valley Bookshop. It could be a template for every ‘proper’ Antiquarian bookshop to my mind, with its fine quality and beautiful books, witty and friendly owner- and there was even a shop dog.



 

What more could a Booklady want?




 

No comments:

Post a Comment