Monday 12 April 2021

Spring Dawn and Drovers' Roads

I am lucky to live in a beautiful part of the country and when I awoke early to misty sunshine, for once I lept out of bed intent on catching the best of the day.



I used to live in Bishopstone when I first moved to Wiltshire and I still remember the excitement I felt on discovering the countryside so near to our little cottage. Today, I returned there to explore the Cranborne Drovers' Road which took me up along the top of the hills above the village.



It is a perfect early spring morning and I wander along listening to the birdsong and taking my time to look around me. I have always been an ambler rather than a seeker. I like to take the time to become a part of my surroundings and will often sit with my eyes closed so that I can listen properly. Every flower is smelt and many trees are hugged. 



Winter ends early in this part of the world and already the Blackthorne is in bloom and butterflies are basking in the sunshine. When I start my walk, the heavy dew is still on the grass and the spiders' webs. I saw Wrens, Chaffinches, and a pair of Yellowhammers, and the Larks were splitting the skies with their song. As I descended back into the valley I came upon a pair of Munjack deer and most exciting for me- a Hare.



I think the best part of the walk was discovering a wonderful line of mature Beech trees. They are my favourite tree and I can see myself returning here again and again, so as to see them in every season.



I sat in the sunshine and ate my breakfast sandwich and felt that this was truly a 'moment of being'. I felt completely happy and so glad that I had taken this chance to capture this elusive time of year- everything seems to be just on the cusp, the buds are just about to burst open and the tide of spring is unstoppable now.


10 comments:

  1. That’s a lovely piece. Really makes me feel I was there, sharing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon, it was such a memorable morning, I am so glad i got up early and wasn't a slug-a-bed!

      Delete
  2. That is so lovely...and all for free! And to see a hare is a real treat. I saw one at Christmas and it made my day! It’s a beautiful and exciting time of year; thank you for sharing your ‘amble’ ! 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- I like the word 'amble' it is a perfect description of the way I walk!

      Delete
  3. One sweet day I hope to Amble with you on a fine spring morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maureen, wouldn't that be a happy morning? There would be so much to see and so much to talk about.

      Delete
  4. Dear Jane,

    How wonderful that Spring heralds your return to the Blogosphere. Fresh beginnings indeed and we are looking forward to your future posts.

    The countryside is so beautiful, particularly at this time of year. One has certainly learned in these times of lockdown that Nature can be so refreshing and renewing to the spirit. Hopefully, we have all learned to take joy from the small details of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking a while to get back into the swing of blogging but it is such a pleasure to record life and be able to look back on happy memories.
      You are so right about the countryside, Nature never fails to calm and uplift me.

      Delete
  5. That third picture..... what a lovely path to drive down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't it be fun? You feel on top of the world up there!

    ReplyDelete